We have classes to fit your schedule, goals and needs, members only classes as well as drop-in classes for non-members.
Qigong is for everyone, whether you are an accomplished athlete or suffering from poor health. This internal energy (Qi) cultivation exercise (Ba Duan Jing and Yi Jin Jing are two of the most well known) from the Shaolin Monastery has roots in Taoism, 5 elements theory and Buddhism. There is an emphasis on conditioning the dantian (lower abdomen) to improve the health of the entire body.
Shaolin Kungfu is a martial art that was born in the Songshan Shaolin Temple’s (Henan, China) Buddhist cultural environment and has been evolving for the last 1500 years. With roots in Yin Yang and the Five Elements Theory, it evolved as a way to support Buddhist practice and is a manifestation of the spirit of traditional Chinese culture. We are honored to teach the Taolu (forms), centuries old routines that have been composed of various martial arts techniques and movements. Choosing to practice in our optional San da/Sanshou (Chinese kickboxing) classes can help to further a practical understanding of the forms and principles.
Members Only classes – Best for students interested in getting a deeper understanding of the Shaolin arts. An appointment is necessary to try or watch a class! Please contact us at 646 481-4595 or email@example.com to reserve a spot. If you are under 18 years old, you must by accompanied by a parent or guardian your first day.
- Dynamic Qigong: This class is the ideal way to practice qigong and aims to help martial artists and athletes develop explosive power, stamina and resist injury. It will strengthen the muscles, tendons, and ligaments while achieving a balanced state of internal energy in the human body. It is a crucial part of iron body training. This practice consists of a thorough warmup, stretching, breathing and movements to achieve these athletic goals. Not only is this class good as a supplement to your regular fitness practice, it is great as a basic moderate workout on its own.
- Restorative Qigong: This class is specially designed for those who are recovering from an illness or injury. It is also suitable for senior citizens. We combine breath work with specific postures and stretches to improve the health of our organs and nervous system. Persistent practice will balance your body’s energy by increasing blood flow and clearing blockages in the meridian system. In addition to physical improvements, some of the other positive effects you may notice are emotional balance and a quieter mind, making this an excellent addition to your regular treatment regimen.
- Children’s kungfu ages 3 – 5: Your child will develop good listening skills, focus and social skills (respect for themselves and others) in this class while having a fun time learning the basics.
- Children’s kungfu ages 6 and up: We use the teachings of traditional martial arts to instill the values of respect, concentration and discipline in a fun and rewarding environment. We want children to want to come to class and feel the benefits of achievement through dedicated and persistent work. Classes consist of stances, stretches, jumping drills, forms and kickboxing (San da) basics. Our goal is to see children develop good listening skills, calmness, improved health and high confidence – all valuable traits that will help them with anything they choose to do in life.
- Adult kungfu: This is a complete workout that develops strength, balance, flexibility, stamina, and explosive power with stretches, plyometric drills and calisthenics. In addition to the incredible physical conditioning you receive, you will also experience improved mental proficiency. Traditional Northern Shaolin is a profound art – practicing its beautiful, functional movements will sharpen your memory and concentration but its ultimate ambition is to unite mind and body. Our curriculum includes optional San da/Sanshou (Chinese kickboxing) classes where you will learn basic kicks/punches. When you are ready, you be invited to participate in optional sparring sessions.
Drop-in Classes for non-students. These 45 minute classes are a great option for those with limited time and not able to commit to a regular membership.
- Essential Qigong: Balance your emotions, improve circulation and alleviate stress. We will also strengthen the mind as we focus attention on unifying the mind and body with a combination of deep breathing, gentle stretches and postures to balance the meridian system.
- Martial Artist Flexibility: This class is designed for martial artists but open to everyone. Its also good for those who want an alternative to yoga. After a good warmup, we will utilize a variety of passive and dynamic stretches to open the hips, relax the shoulders and loosen tight muscles everywhere in the body. Over time, proper and safe stretching will lead to shorter recovery time, higher and more powerful kicks, more efficient punches, fewer injuries and better balance. A must for anyone practicing Muay Thai, Boxing and BJJ.
- Kungfu Fit: A fun, balanced workout that includes typical Shaolin drills, stretches and calisthenics. We are going for greater strength, improved cardio and more flexibility.
Members Only classes: Childrens class, Dynamic Qigong, Restorative Qigong, Adult Kungfu. Drop in rates are NOT available for these classes.
- Adult Kungfu and/or Dynamic Qigong – 1 month unlimited classes $135 or 3 months $360
- Restorative Qigong – 1 month unlimited classes $125 or 3 months $320
- Children Kungfu: – 1 month unlimited classes $125 or 3 months $320
- Trial class – only 1 per person, $25. Appointment required
Drop-in Classes: Basic Qigong, Martial Arts Flexibility and Kungfu Fit.
- One class – $25
- Five classes – $110, must use within 2 months
- Available on Classpass.
- Available on CourseHorse
If you purchased your class on CourseHorse, then our Refund & Cancellation policy applies to your purchase. If you are entitled to a refund, or have any questions, please visit the CourseHorse site and contact their customer service team.If you purchased your class on CourseHorse, then our Refund & Cancellation policy applies to your purchase. If you are entitled to a refund, or have any questions, please visit the CourseHorse site and contact their customer service team.